Saturday 5 April 2014

Breton music

In case you still don't know it,  I'm a great fan of celtic music. My fascination started several months ago, I suppose, but to be honest, as a child I also used to listen to Enya, whose voice I adore to this day. I must confess that, until recently, when I thought about celtic music, I thought only about Ireland. How much I was wrong! Last time, thanks to the course of listening comprehension, I discoverd totally new dimension of this kind of music- Breton music. Brittany is the region of France which in the past was inhabited by Celts and the signs of their culture are still visible there.There are many Breton singers and bands who play traditional instruments (for example harp) and sings about...Hmmm...it's hard to describe the topic of their songs in one word, but mostly about nature and some stories from the past, legends, etc. Breton artists sing in not only in French, but also in English(these 2 cultures are connected, because Celts lived in the Ireland as well) and in Breton, celtic language, which I find really difficult to speak. 
I love celtic music, because when I listen to it, I can forget about my problems, bad mood, tiredness and imagine I'm somewhere else. I strongly reccommend it to you, it's magical :) 
Here's a song "Tri Martolod" by Alan Stivell, hope you enjoy it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z593IhlhR4s 

No comments:

Post a Comment