Saturday 11 April 2015

We are infinite

High school years are fortunately behind me, but I still enjoy watching movies which present the life of teenagers - of course, only if they're well-made. The one I've watched recently - "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"- definitely falls into this category. It's a 2012 American drama whose main character is 15-year-old Charlie (Logan Lerman) The boy starts high school as an outsider, being unaccepted and lost; his best friend commited suicide and he suffers from mental illness. His miserable life changes suddenly when he meets two seniors - Patrick(Ezra Miller) and his stepsister Sam(Emma Watson) who he falls in love with; he's accepted by their group of friends and he slowly starts to believe he found the place where he belongs. Their life is not perfect, either; Patrick is a secret relationship with Brad, a football player, and Sam was sexually abused as a child. Each of them try to cope with their problems and traumatic experiences.
The movie is thought-provoking, but I can't say it's sad; it shows perfectely how bittersweet life could be. The characters are not overdrawn; I do like the way they try to find their place, how they seek happiness and courage to face life, however hard it may be. The film is filled with really good music; one of my favourite scenes is when the 3 go through the tunnel, listening to "Heroes" by David Bowie; that's when Charlie says: "I feel infinite". I feel this way too when I watch it :)



No comments:

Post a Comment